In honor of today being #SocialMediaDay…
The lifecycle of a social media platform goes like this:
- New platform launches, it’s all free and easy to use.
- All the kids go to this platform.
- User accounts skyrocket.
- Then all those kids’ parents get on this platform so they can keep track of their kids.
- Then the platform starts selling ads since they now have users with money.
- Then all the kids leave the platform for the next new one and the cycle continues.
Lesson for new platforms: don’t sell ads and everyone will like you.
Lesson for parents: eat dinner with your kids every night around the kitchen table and talk to each other.